Monday, June 23, 2008

House By The Cemetery

Gory Gory Hallelujah

All you really need to know is that an evil murderer is in the cellar. The rest of the story is erratic, confusing, and worst of all boring.

Lucio Fulci is an Italian director known for having gruesome killings in his movies, and "House By The Cemetery" is no different. Yet, this movie somehow managed to be ghastly boring. There were several bloody deaths that peppered the tedium, including a scissors through the head, a scissors through the heart, a throat being sliced open with a knife, and many more. The entire time I was watching, I was either checking my watch or wincing from the onscreen brutality.

The music sounded so eighties, and the dubbing was hilariously bad. Whenever the young boy spoke, I couldn't help but chuckle. It didn't have that b-movie charm that has drawn me to many other old horror movies, mostly because it seemed like there was a fairly big budget.

The Italian horror genre has a lot of hype behind it, and recently I decided to see what the hype is about. "House By The Cemetery" has been my first foray into Italian horror, and I'm hoping that this was not one of the better movies of the genre. I plan on watching Italian horror standards "Zombi" and "Suspiria" in the future. Hopefully those will fair better.


--Below Average

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all...don't we own Suspiria? Or was that one of the many we threw away? If I had known this was going to be your "calling" (blogging about cheesy gore films) I would never of convinced you to throw them out.

I saved House on the Cemetary from the trash can because it is my favorite. Not because it's good...but because it is so terribly bad.
(and not bad in a good, scary way!)
and yet I still managed to scream atleast 4-5 times throughout the movie! boy did I feel dumb! :)

the boy's voice is the best part of this movie and is well worth watching it for. it's hilarious!

and this should be (or maybe is?) a Mystery Science Theater film! I like watching it just to make fun of it. Great for halloween!

Jon Marshall said...

We used to own Suspiria, but I don't remember that much about it. I will probably re-rent it.

Anonymous said...

when do we get to read your blog on Tarantula City?

Jon Marshall said...

Patience...